2 medium eggplants, halved
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pint cremini mushrooms, quartered
2 cups torn kale or spinach
2 cups cooked quinoa or bulgur
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Zest and juice of 1 lemon (plus additional lemon wedges for serving)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2.Using a spoon, scoop out a third of the flesh inside the eggplants (you can set it aside for other uses or discard). Rub the inside of each eggplant half with 1½ teaspoons olive oil and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the kale and quinoa, and cook until the kale is wilted slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Season the mixture with thyme, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper.
5. Spoon the filling into the prepared eggplants and roast until the eggplants are tender but not falling apart, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
6. Serve the eggplant immediately, garnished with parsley and accompanied by the yogurt and additional lemon wedges.